Steve Kimock owns two guitars built by the late legendary builder Steve Cripe (1953-1996). Besides rarity, these guitars were the last electrics Jerry Garcia used. Scott Walker paid tribute to what was one of Mr Cripe’s most elegant designs. The result is a combination of features that accentuate the unusual wood choices leading to amazing sustain, resonance and tone.
The Phantoms electronics feature custom Single coil blade pickups by Lollar. A minimalist approach to the controls, yet a unique variety of options. There are two different preamps, and OP amp style Unity Gain Buffer, as well as an FET style Booster, both with on/off switches. This allows the Passive option, as well as a choice of either preamps or both!
Scott Walker Phantom specs:
- Ebony top and back (shown)
- Figured Maple core with Paduk laminates
- Bolt on Figured Maple neck
- 12″ Radius Ebony Fingerboard
- Medium Jumbo Frets
- 25″ Scale, 22 fret
- Tone Pros Bridge
- Custom “Walker” tailpiece
- Master Volume w/ push pull OP amp on/off
- Master Tone w/push pull FET preamp-on/off
- Walker signature diamond inlays
- Lollar custom Single coil pickups
Guitar Planet rating
Like the Phantom and want to see it in the Hall of Fame? Rate this guitar now (click on the stars below)… at least 10 votes with over 75% average rating gets this guitar into The HOF – the Guitar Planet Hall of Fame and from there into the 2011 Guitar of the Year award.